Make footbridges safe?
Various county councils and local authorities are responsible for a wide range of services including the safety of pedestrians on footbridges, walkways and paths across their land, including on canal works. As canals are often low-lying, and at risk for flooding, the risk of damp or wet surfaces causing slips is high.
Safety near waterways
Commuters, local walkers, as well as those who live on the UK’s waterways, all need a slip-free access route to ensure that they can continue to enjoy the canal works safely. The worst case scenario is that slips and trips around waterways can lead to pedestrians falling into the canal.
Key Canal Facts
- There are 3112 canal bridges in the UK (Canals and River Trust, 2020)
- Over 650km of fibre-optic cables are buried beneath the UK’s towpaths (Canals and River Trust, 2020)
- There’s nearly 5000 miles of navigable canals and rivers in the UK, down 2000 miles from the peak of 7000 miles. (Inland Waterways Association)
Contact Us About GRP Footbridge Solutions Today
Anti-Slip Solutions On Pedestrian Bridges
Many authorities and local councils use anti-slip sheeting and convex decking strips. It's a long-term solution with virtually zero future maintenance costs.
GRP ANTI-SLIP SOLUTIONS on Public Footbridges
All footbridges can become a potential slip hazard. GripClad ® offers a long-term hazard-free solution that can meet all kinds of budgets and wouldn’t need replacing in the future.
At GripClad ®, we regularly work with many Local Authorities who look for the correct anti-slip solution. We can offer open mesh antislip Grating, Flat Sheet, Stair tread covers and Convex Decking Strips.
Our solution included:
- Anti-slip solutions across footbridges and across all budgets
- Helped save the Council money in maintenance and insurance claims
- Protected the public with anti-slip treads over dangerous surfaces
Come and have a chat and explore the range of options available to you.
GRP Minimesh Grating, if changing the Structure
GRP Minimesh from GripClad is an ideal solution for pedestrian routes with areas of high traffic where a lightweight, yet strong, solution is needed.
GripClad’s Minimesh is:
- Corrosion-resistant across a wide pH range
- UV-stable and built with UV inhibitors
- Stronger than metal counterparts
- Manufactured to ISO 9001
- Made with a 20mm pitch
- Comes in a variety of thicknesses and panel sizes
- RAL colours available, defaults are green, beige or light grey
- Easy to fix, with no welding required
- 25-year service life minimum